The church of San Miniato al Monte is situated on Monte alle Croci, a hill with a fine view over Florence. Shaped like a basilica, the small church is built mostly in the Romanesque style. It was built by Bishop Hildebrand in 1018. Next to the church is the Bishop’s Palace, fortifications and a monumental cemetery. The church is named after the martyr Minias. In the story, after being beheaded, Minias picked up his head, put it back on his shoulders and walked to a cave on Monte alle Croci where he lived as a hermit.
San Miniato Al Monte 1207 II, 2017
© Ola Kolehmainen