The Scrovegni Chapel is located in Padua, Italy. The rather small building is famous for its 37 paintings by Giotto. The chapel was commissioned by Paduan banker Enrico Scrovegni. Annexed to his palace, the purpose of the chapel was to serve as the family’s prayer room and as funerary memorial for Scrovegni and his wife. Scrovegni hired the famous Florentine painter Giotto to decorate the chapel. Giotto’s paintings cover the walls and the ceiling of the chapel and depict stories from the life of Christ and Virgin Mary.
Cappella Scrovegni 1305 II, 2017
© Ola Kolehmainen